Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Summary: Insurance protection for loss of business earnings due to physical damage has undergone a gradual but steady evolution over the years. Not only has there been many changes in the provisions of coverage, it has also gone through several name changes since the first time element coverage was written over a century ago. Known as “use and occupancy” insurance in its early days (a term that survived in boiler and machinery insurance until the late 1970s), the name for fire insurance, was changed to “business interruption” insurance in the 1940s. This name, in turn, was replaced under the Insurance Services Office (ISO) simplified commercial property program by the term “business income” insurance. The 2012 edition of the ISO form is discussed subsequently in this section.

These discussions offer some basic information on business income insurance with a brief description of various forms that have figured in its evolutionary history.

Topics covered:

Development of forms

What is covered?

When coverage applies

Extra expense

Extended loss after operations resume

Blanket coverage

This premium content is locked for
FC&S Expert Coverage Interpretation subscribers.

Enjoy unlimited access to the trusted solution for successful interpretation and analyses of complex insurance policies.

  • Quality content from industry experts with over 60 years insurance experience, combined
  • Customizable alerts of changes in relevant policies and trends
  • Search and navigate Q&As to find answers to your specific questions
  • Filter by article, discussion, analysis and more to find the exact information you’re looking for
  • Continually updated to bring you the latest reports, trending topics, and coverage analysis

Already have an account?
For enterprise-wide or corporate access, please contact our Sales Department at 1-800-543-0874 or email [email protected].

FC&S Editors


Get Answers Directly From the FC&S Experts

Submit your coverage interpretation question to the editors of FC&S for quick and reliable information.

Question of the Week

Insurance Coverage Q&A: When a Kayak Falls, Which Coverage Applies? ›

When personal property damages an auto, which policy applies?

Question of the Week Archive ›

Copyright © 2022 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.